MILWAUKEE, WI - In celebration of Black History Month, Wisconsin Lutheran College presents two events by Ko-Thi Dance Company.
ART EXHIBITION: "Resilience" is an archival exhibit by Ko-Thi Dance Company. The collection of press materials, performance stills, and concert posters celebrates the beauty and fortitude of this Milwaukee-based entity.
- Dates: February 1-28, 2021
- Times: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Location: Center for Arts and Performance - Siebert Atrium and Art Gallery Lobby
- Cost: Free
- Notes for Campus Visitors:
- Face coverings/masks and physical distancing are required at all times on the WLC campus.
- Visitors are asked to stay within the exhibit areas in the Center for Arts and Performance. For the health and safety of our campus community, access to other buildings is not permitted.
- The exhibit is subject to capacity limits and may be temporarily unavailable without notice until occupancy numbers have subsided.
This project was supported in part by the following:
National Endowment for the Arts: This project is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts. To find out more about how National Endowment for the Arts grants impact individuals and communities, visit arts.gov.
Wisconsin Arts Board: This project is supported in part by a grant from the Wisconsin Arts Board with funds from the State of Wisconsin and the National Endowment for the Arts.
LECTURE: "FERNE: A Retrospective" is an oral history presentation that will be available to the public online. Spanning over 50 years, Ko-Thi Dance Company Founder Ferne Yangyetie Caulker has created an impressive career as a dancer,
choreographer, and educator in the performing arts and academia. Join Artistic Director DeMar Walker and Caulker as they discuss her professional life and all things Ko-Thi Dance Company during this one-hour live-streamed conversation.
- Date: Thursday, February 25, 2021
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Location: Online; register with Ko-Thi Dance Company to receive the livestream link. A limited number of WLC students can register to attend the event in-person in the Center for Arts and Performance - Schwan Concert Hall. Details will be shared
with students via email.
- Cost: Free
REGISTER WITH KO-THI TO RECEIVE THE LECTURE LIVESTREAM LINK
ABOUT KO-THI DANCE COMPANY: Founded in 1969, Ko-Thi Dance Company passionately preserves, teaches, documents, interprets, and performs dance and music
rooted in the cultures of the African diaspora and has continually diversified its programming to incorporate ongoing national, economic, and audience evolution without sacrificing the mission of inspiring our community to celebrate themselves and
others through the present-day interpretation of ancient and contemporary African dance and music. Ko-Thi Dance Company holds the impressive feat of being one of the oldest performing arts organizations in North America specializing in the dance and
musical forms of Africa and its diaspora.